Virtual Party Space Devlog #10: Rendering isometric tiles
Today I struggle with videoconference connections and look into isometric rendering and pathfinding for the game interface.
- spent 4 hours trying to figure out why videobridge wasn’t connecting
- turns out I made a poor choice to use host.docker.internal in docker .ENV, which doesn’t work. Replaced with IP RESOLVED
- tested with 2 users, mostly works fine
- made isometric depth work
- load tilesets as spritesheets instead of images, load each tile individually
- Algorithm: depth = x + y + (base depth for foreground objects)
- means depth increases evenly on the diagonal
- causes irregular results if player character is sharing same tile as another object (layered objects should be blocking)
- looked into pathfinding to enable mouse navigation/find-my-friend
- Easystar library Looks like a good option
About this series
Back in mid-December I started an ambitious project to create a custom platform for a virtual birthday party in February. I kept notes on my progress, both for personal reference and to turn into a series of blog posts. It quickly became apparent that I did not have time to both do the project and blog about the project. I have retroactively decided to post my raw notes as a dev log.